What is the best helpline number for HMRC?
*This website advises that calls to 084 numbers cost 7p/min plus your phone provider’s access charge.
HMRC stands for Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, a governmental department in the UK.
HMRC’s responsibility is mainly collecting taxes, such as corporation tax, income tax, VAT, stamp duty, inheritance tax, and more. Aside from this, HMRC also carry out some other important tasks, like regulating the national minimum wage and administering financial benefits to the general population – these include tax credits and child benefits. Customs and excise duty are also an important part of HMRC’s role in the country.
As a result of restructuring, HMRC has undergone significant changes of late, including introducing the Pay As You Earn system for monthly, rather than annual taxes, in 2013. Current plans are to downsize HMRC branches and have their tasks redistributed to regional centres.
HMRC is also responsible for investigating tax and financial crimes related to smuggling and illegal import of goods, as this falls under customs and excise duty. As a result, HMRC are able to search and arrest individuals suspected of such acts.
How to Contact HMRC Helpline
HMRC have a helpline which operates six days a week. From Monday to Friday the lines of contact are open from 8:00AM until 8:00PM. On Saturdays, they run from 8:00AM to 4:00PM and on Sundays from 9:00AM-5:00PM. The HM Revenue and Customs number is closed on Sundays. Please note that the HMRC phone number’s hours do not apply to holidays.
Things to Remember When You Call HMRC Contact Number
- It’s best if you have all your details prepared and on hand before you call the HMRC number. If you have tax numbers, case numbers, or previous contact information and correspondence on hand, this will greatly help your call and ensure that it’s quick and effective.
- HMRC operate an automated phone line in the first instance. Listen closely and follow any instructions to be put through to the correct department. Listening attentively is the best way to ensure your call is dealt with as quickly as possible.
- Even if you are frustrated, remember to be polite and courteous to staff, as their job is to assist you. Doing so is a sure fire way of having an effective and productive call that benefits both parties.
I need help with my SA return, can I call HMRC customer service for this?
Yes, if you need help on filling out your Self Assessment tax return, you can call and receive guidance from the HMRC telephone helpline. Remember to have your Self Assessment form and any other related documents in front of you, and writing down your query usually helps, too.
Can I pay over the phone or request a refund?
Depending on your circumstances, this may be possible. It’d be best in this case to call the HM Revenue and Customs contact number above with your specific situation and talk directly to an agent who will be able to guide you in the most effective manner.
I made a mistake on my VAT form – should I call for help or resubmit it?
If you’ve submitted a VAT form with an error, you cannot submit it again for at least 2 days. If you need more information or a special request relating to this form or an error on the form, then you should call the HM Revenue and Customs phone number above for assistance. However, if you’ve just submitted it with an error, we’d suggest waiting for 2 days before submitting the form again.
Have a better contact number for HMRC?
- 1 What is the best helpline number for HMRC?
- 1.1 How to Contact HMRC Helpline
- 1.2 Things to Remember When You Call HMRC Contact Number
- 1.3 FAQ