What is the best helpline number for Income Support?

*This website advises that calls to 084 numbers cost 7p/min plus your phone provider’s access charge.

Income Support is a benefit intended to support people on very low incomes, or with no incomes at all, who are living in certain circumstances which make it very difficult to earn enough money to live on.

How to Apply for Income Support?

There are 5 criteria which you must meet all of to be able to claim Income Support:

• You need to be of working age (between 16 and pensionable age)
• Pregnant, a single parent with a child under 5, or a carer for a sick or disabled person – or sometimes a sick or disabled person yourself
• You (and your partner if you have one) have no or a very small income and savings less than £16,000
• You work less than 16 hours a week, and your partner if you have one works less than 24 hours a week
• You live in Scotland, England or Wales

Alternatively, you can also qualify for Income Support if you are aged 16-20, in full-time education, and one of the below:

• You are a parent
• You are not living with a parent or guardian
• You are a refugee learning English

You do not need a permanent address to claim Income Support – you can claim it if you are street homeless, or living in a homeless hostel. You cannot receive Income Support if you receive Universal Credit, and you are not likely to be awarded it if you already receive JSA or ESA. If you would like to find out more about qualifying you can call the Income Support number listed above.

How Can I Make A Claim for Income Support?

You can make a claim for Income Support by calling the JobCentre Plus line 6am-12pm, Monday to Sunday. You can also make a claim by Textphone if you are Deaf or hard-of-hearing, and the service is available in the Welsh language as well as in English.

When you contact Income Support to open your claim, you will need to have to hand:

• Your National Insurance Number
• Your date of birth
• Details of your income, and your partner’s income if you have one
• Your address, including postcode, and your phone or mobile phone number
• Details about your household and who lives there

It is also very important that you call the JobCentre Plus to notify them as soon as possible if your circumstances change in any way, especially if you get a job or if the number of people in your household changes. If you do not report changes like this, then you could be committing benefit fraud.


Does my partner need to make a separate claim for Income Support?

No; you can claim for yourself and your partner at the same time as long as they have not made a claim already.

What do I do if I disagree with a decision made about my benefit?

You need to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration of the decision from the DWP. If the decision is upheld and you still disagree with it, you can appeal to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal. Contact Income Support to find out more about this process.

If I am awarded Income Support, how will I be paid?

Income Support will be paid directly into your bank or building society account every fortnight. If you are claiming as a couple, you will need to nominate an account for the payment to go into when you make your claim. When you call the Income Support phone number ensure you ask for more details about this process.

Have a better contact number for Income Support?