Carers Allowance is open Monday through Friday 8:00am – 6:00pm.

What is the best helpline number for Carers Allowance?

*This website advises that calls to 084 numbers cost 7p/min plus your phone provider’s access charge.

Carer’s allowance is a welfare benefit given to people who spend their time taking care of a disabled person and looking after their needs for more than 35 hours per week.

To receive this benefit, you must be able to demonstrate that you are not earning above a certain threshold and genuinely require this benefit, this is known as ‘means-testing’. In addition, the person you’re looking after has to be registered as disabled and must be receiving an attendance allowance, disability living allowance (DLA), or alternatively a constant attendance allowance.

The earnings threshold for receiving this benefit is £110 per week, so if you’re earning or have an income above this figure then you aren’t eligible to receive the benefit. Further to this, those in full time study or full time employment cannot receive this benefit. You can call the Carers allowance phone number listed above if you need further clarification.

How to Contact Carers Allowance Number

There is a Carers allowance helpline available for this receiving the allowance or with enquiries about the Carer’s allowance. The lines are open every weekday and close at weekends. On Monday through to Thursday, the service lines opens at 8:30AM and then closes at 5:00PM. Note that the hours of operation on Friday are slightly different, as the line opens at 8:30AM and closes thirty minutes earlier than normal, at 4:30PM. Please note that this does not refer to holiday hours of operation, which may vary.

Things to Remember When You Call Carers Allowance Contact Number

  • In the first instance you may be put through to an automated service. To reach the right customer service support agent with the correct training and information, listen to all of the options and choose whichever is most appropriate for your query.
  • If there are several points to your query, or you have a complicated case that you need to find information on, make sure that you note down the things you need to discuss and have these notes, along with any accompanying documentation, with you when you call the Carers allowance telephone number.
  • Relevant information that you should bring with you includes national insurance number, details on your address, employment, and the person you are caring for, as well as any prior communication with the official agencies. This can help speed your call along.

Carers Allowance FAQ

How do I know if I should receive the Carers’ allowance?

This is a complicated question and one that can be a cause of a lot of confusion. While we can give information, it’s possible that if you have unique circumstances or you still aren’t sure, you should speak to a service agent by calling the line above.

You must:

  • Be over 16 years of age
  • Have resided in England, Scotland, or Wales for a minimum of 2 out of the last 3 years
  • Not be studying for more than 21 hours per week
  • Earn less than £110 per week after both tax and expenses

The person you’re caring for must:

  • Receive either PIP, DLA, or Armed Forces Independent Payment

What is the ‘Carer’s Allowance’?

The ‘Carer’s Allowance’ is a government-funded financial benefit for individuals caring for a person in need.

Who is eligible for Carer’s Allowance?

Individuals who spend a substantial number of hours caring for someone every week may be eligible for Carer’s Allowance. At the time of writing, carers must spend at least 35 hours per week caring for an individual to be eligible.

The individual who is being cared for must also be in receipt of benefits that support the fact they are in need of a carer. However, the individual being cared for does not have to be a relative or someone you live with.

To claim Carer’s Allowance, you must be over 16 years of age, you must not be in full-time education or studying over a certain number of hours per week, and should not be earning over a certain amount. Currently, applicants should not be studying 21+ hours or earning more than £116 every week.

Applicants may also be limited by how long they have lived in England, Scotland or Wales, as well as their immigration status.

Who can be ‘cared for’ in order to receive Carer’s Allowance?

The individual being cared for needs to be in receipt of a valid type of government benefit. At the time of writing, eligible benefits include Attendance Allowance, Armed Forces Independence Payment, Constant Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment.

Can I receive Carer’s Allowance along with other benefits?

Yes. However, receiving Carer’s Allowance may affect some of your other benefits, often reducing the amount of financial aid you receive in other areas.

It’s also important to note that claiming Carer’s Allowance could affect the benefits of the individual you are caring for too. In fact, some of their benefits could be reduced or removed completely. It’s essential to find out how the person you care for will be affected before claiming Carer’s Allowance – contact the Department for Work and Pensions to make a query.

Please note: If you receive some form of Tax Credit, you may need to inform the relevant department when you begin to receive Carer’s Allowance. You may also be required to pay tax on your Carer’s Allowance, depending on your income.

Can I claim Carer’s Allowance if I move away from the UK?

Possibly. A number of countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) have benefits agreements with the UK. If you are moving to a country within the EEA, you may still be able to claim Carer’s Allowance.

A few countries that are part of the EEA include Austria, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Poland and Spain. There are also a number of countries that have social security arrangements with the UK, in which you may be able to claim Carer’s Allowance.

How will I be paid Carer’s Allowance?

Carer’s Allowance is paid into the bank account of the claimant on a regular basis. You can choose how often the benefit will be paid into the account. At the moment, recipients of Carer’s Allowance can choose to receive money every week, every four weeks or every 13 weeks.

I’m eligible for Carer’s Allowance – is there anything else I will be eligible for?

If you are eligible for Carer’s Allowance, you may also be eligible for other services and benefits. All individuals receiving Carer’s Allowance should receive National Insurance Credits.

There are a few other common benefits that are often available to individuals claiming Carer’s Allowance, including Council Tax Reductions, Income-Based Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Pension Credit and support from your local council. Of course, these benefits are also reliant on other factors and not everyone claiming Carer’s Allowance will be eligible.

How can I apply for Carer’s Allowance?

You can apply for Carer’s Allowance via the online form on the government website or by post. You may need some personal information to hand, such as your National Insurance Number, bank/building society details, employment details and most recent payslips.

If you are not currently working, you may need to have your P45 to hand. If you are studying, you should have details of your course ready.

You may also need some personal details about the person that you are caring for, including their date of birth, address, and their National Insurance Number or Disability Living Allowance reference, depending on their age.

What should I do if my application is rejected?

If your application for Carer Allowance is rejected, you can often apply for the application to be reconsidered. You will usually need to request ‘Mandatory Reconsideration’ within a specific time frame. Then, you should be able to re-apply via the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal.

Do I need to report any changes in my circumstances?

Yes. You should inform the Department for Work and Pensions if there are any significant changes to your circumstances. Updates to your circumstances should be made both while receiving Carer’s Allowance and while applying for it.

Changes to your circumstances could be starting a new job or stopping caring for someone, whether for a short period or permanently. You should also inform the department if the person you are caring for dies.

Have a better contact number for Carers Allowance?