DVLA is open Monday through Friday 8:00am – 7:00pm and Saturday 8:30am – 2:00pm.

What is the best helpline number for DVLA?

*This website advises that calls to 084 numbers cost 7p/min plus your phone provider’s access charge.

The Driving Vehicle and Licensing Agency (DVLA) is a United Kingdom government agency, operating under the minister for transport. The DVLA has numerous responsibilities, including but not limited to the registration, storage, and maintenance of vehicle databases. The DVLA also deals with registration of new drivers and offers some products for sale, including personalised license plates at a premium price.

One of the most important aspects of the DVLA is their database containing all vehicle registration numbers, as this can be used both for criminal enforcement and investigation, providing evidence and tracing vehicles. The DVLA database can be used for investigating insurance fraud, theft, and the status of a vehicle as written-off.

How to Contact DVLA Helpline

The DVLA operates a customer service line six days a week. From Monday to Friday the line opens at 8:00AM and closes at 7:00PM. On Saturday the line opens at 8:00AM and closes at 2:00PM. Please note that this doesn’t apply to holidays when hours may be reduced. You can reach them by calling the DVLA number listed above.

Things to Remember When Calling the DVLA Contact Number

  • If you’re calling about a vehicle you should have all of your vehicle information and documents to hand, including tax, registration, license plate number, SORN certificate, and insurance documents.
  • If you’re calling about yourself ensure you have details of the vehicle(s) you’re driving in addition to your licence information.
  • Ensure that you maintain a polite and courteous manner when talking to customer service agents, as being abusive or confrontational will lead to the call being terminated. Remember that even if you’re feeling frustrated when you call DVLA, the staff is there to assist you.


I’ve just bought or sold a vehicle, do I need to contact the DVLA Customer Service Helpline?

Yes, if this is the case then you should call the DVLA telephone number to notify them of the sale or purchase of a vehicle. In particular, you will need a reference number from the vehicle’s registration certificate, known as the V5C.

Do I need to let the DVLA know if I change my address or telephone number?

Yes, and there are strict penalties for not doing so. You can be fined up to £1000 for failing to let the DVLA know of a change of address or contact information relating to your driver’s license or car. The best way of doing this is to call the DVLA with the information necessary, for instance driver’s license, insurance and registration information, and inform them that you’d like to update your address or the address of your vehicle.

Can I tax my vehicle over the phone?

Yes, aside from renewing your tax or taxing your vehicle online, you can also call the DVLA phone number and receive instruction and guidance from the service operator. This is particularly useful if you’re confused by the online process or having trouble effectively following the instructions. When contacting the customer service line, keep your reminder letter with you as well as other details. You can also do this at any larger post office, but will need to bring extra information with you.

What is a provisional driving licence?

A provisional driving licence is a licence that allows drivers to drive under adult supervision. The individual must be supervised while driving at all times and is not allowed to drive on the motorway. The supervisor must be a licenced driving instructor or an adult over 21 years of age who has held a full driving licence for at least three years.

How old do I have to be to get a provisional driving licence?

You can apply for a provisional driving licence when you are at least 15 years and 9 months old.

How can I apply for a provisional driving licence?

Individuals can apply for a provisional driving licence using the online form on the government website or by post, using the D1 application form. The postal form can be ordered online as an application pack or picked up from your local post office.

To apply, you will need to be at least 15 years and 9 months of age. You will also need to provide proof of your identity, usually in the form of a passport, proof of your address, and your National Insurance Number. Applicants also need to pay the provisional driving licence fee and confirm that they can read a vehicle number plate from at least 20 metres away.

Please note: Applying by post will take longer than applying online, and you may be required to send original documents.

What vehicles can I drive with a provisional licence?

Provisional driving licence holders can drive cars, providing they follow the guidelines about supervision. They can also ride mopeds once they have completed a Compulsory Basic Training course, also known as a CBT.

How can I apply for a full driving licence?

Individuals need to pass their practical driving test before they can apply for a full driving licence. They may also be required to pass a theory test before they can take the practical test.

You can book a driving test by getting in touch with the DVLA. Once you have passed your practical driving test, you should be able to apply for your full driving licence straight away. The driving test examiner should get you the relevant paperwork to sign and then send the documents to the DVLA. Your full driving licence should arrive by post within a few weeks.

If you have a paper provisional driving licence, rather than a card, or you have changed your name since getting a provisional licence, you may need to apply by post and provide some extra documentation. For example, those with only a paper provisional driving licence will likely need to send a passport photo with their application for a full driving licence.

What should I do if my driving licence is lost, damaged or stolen?

If your driving licence is lost, damaged or stolen, you can apply for a new one online, over the phone or by post. Replacement driving licences are usually available for both provisional driving licences and full driving licences.

However, if your driving licence was stolen, you should make sure to report the theft to the police.

To apply for a replacement online, simply go to the DVLA website and fill in the ‘Apply For A Replacement Licence’ form. To apply by post, you will likely need to print out and fill in the ‘D1’ or ‘D2’ form, depending on what kind of vehicle you drive. And, to apply over the phone, simply get in touch with the DVLA customer service number.

Keep in mind, you may need to pay a fee for a replacement licence.

If you need to replace a paper licence, you may need to do so by post and you may need to include extra documentation.

Some of the personal details on my driving licence have changed – what should I do?

You should apply for a new driving licence if any of the personal details on your licence change. For example, you should request a new driving licence if you change your name, gender, title or address. In most cases, drivers can update information on their licence free of charge.

Keep in mind, if you do not update certain information on your driving licence, you may be subject to a fine.

Applicants can change their address online by going to the ‘Change Your Details’ form on the DVLA website. However, if you need to change your name, gender or title, you will likely be required to apply via post by sending the relevant form and your old driving licence.

Postal applications are also usually required if more than one detail needs to be changed on a licence or if the photograph on the card needs to be updated. You may also need to pay a fee to update your licence photo.

Please note: In most cases, individuals can usually continue to drive while waiting for their replacement licence.

How can I renew my driving licence?

If your driving licence expires, you can apply online via the ‘Your Driving Licence Application’ form on the DVLA website, at a local post office or via post. The fee to renew your licence may vary, depending on how you apply.

You may be required to provide details of a valid UK passport, your past addresses, your current driving licence and your National Insurance Number.
If your name or title has changed, you may have to apply differently.

Holders of a five-year bus/lorry licence or individuals who have been disqualified from driving may also need to apply in another way. To find out more, contact the DVLA customer service team.

Is it possible to exchange a foreign driving licence for a British driving licence?

Possibly. Depending on where your driving licence was issued, you may be able to exchange it for a British driving licence if you are now a UK resident. In some cases, you may be able to legally drive with your foreign driving licence for a limited amount of time.

You can find out if you can exchange your driving licence by filling in the ‘Exchange A Foreign Driving Licence’ form on the government website.

Have a better contact number for DVLA?