DWP is open Monday through Friday 8:00am – 6.00pm, Saturday & Sunday Closed.

What is the best helpline number for DWP?

*This website advises that calls to 084 numbers cost 7p/min plus your phone provider’s access charge.

The largest department of the UK government, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is the department handling and regulating in-work and out-of-work benefits (including sickness and disability benefits) through JobCentre Plus, pensions and National Insurance Numbers. They monitor and publish information about the UK employment rate and run and regulate training schemes, and you can get information and guidance about replying and contributing to consultations either on their website or by calling the Department of Work and Pensions phone number.

For services through JobCentre Plus, such as making a new benefit claim, you can call the JobCentre Plus customer service line 8am-6pm Monday to Friday. You can always access DWP services through Textphone for Deaf and hearing-impaired people, and in the Welsh language.

Before You Contact DWP

When you call any of the DWP contact numbers, you should have your National Insurance Number and any other relevant information – such as your date of birth, date of starting or leaving a particular job etc. – to hand. If you are calling to open a claim for PIP, you should have the name and contact details (especially telephone number) for your GP and all other relevant medical professionals, such as your consultant or physiotherapist.


What does the DWP do?

DWP stands for ‘Department for Work and Pensions’. The government-run service not only provides State Pensions but a number of other benefits to UK claimants. A few common services run by the DWP include Carers and Disability Benefits, Child Support and Maintenance Services and Jobcentre Plus branches.

In short, the DWP runs a welfare system that attempts to make living and working independently possible for many individuals who may struggle to do so otherwise.

What benefits are available to me through the DWP?

The DWP offers a number of different types of financial benefits and support for different individuals. For example, the department has benefit schemes for carers, those with disabilities, families, pensioners, parents and more.

To find out if you are eligible for any kind of government aid or financial support, go to the DWP page on the government website and view the ‘Benefits A to Z’ page or call the DWP number above.

Keep in mind, the department usually only provides benefits to individuals in financial need. If you have a substantial amount of savings, a high income or a partner who can sufficiently support you, it’s unlikely you will be able to claim benefits from the DWP.

What happens if I retire earlier or later than the age I am given by the government?

If you retire earlier than the retirement age given to you by the government, you won’t be able to receive a State Pension at this point. However, you may be able to receive a pension from your workplace or a pension that you have arranged personally.

If you would like to retire later than the specified age, you should be free to do so. In the past, there was a ‘Default Retirement Age’ which individuals had to stop working by. Currently, there is no Default Retirement Age in place.

If you decide to continue working past the earliest age you can receive a State Pension, you may be able to receive your pension while working or delay your pension until you retire at a later date.

Please note: The terms and conditions of your Workplace Pension or Personal Pension may be different to those of your State Pension. Call the Department of Work and Pensions telephone number for additional support.

I’ve just had a baby – what pay/leave do I qualify for?

Your pay and leave vary depending on your circumstances. In general, those taking Maternity Leave may be eligible for Statutory Maternity Leave, Statutory Maternity Pay, extra help or support from the government, and paid time off work for antenatal care.

Individuals taking Paternity Leave may be entitled to Paternity Leave, Paternity Pay or Shared Parental Leave. Parents who have just had a child may also be eligible for Statutory Shared Parental Pay or Shared Parental Leave, in which the mother of the child can share some of her leave with her partner.

There are also similar benefits in place for parents adopting a child or having a child through surrogacy. You can find out if you are eligible for some kind of parental leave by visiting the government website or by calling the DWP telephone number.

Please note: In all cases of parental leave, the rights of the parent should be protected while they take time off work. For example, rights to accumulating holiday, pay rises and returning to work should all be protected.

How can I claim Statutory Maternity Pay?

First, you should inform your employer that you are expecting a child and state when you would like to take Maternity Leave. You may also need to prove that you are pregnant with a letter from your doctor or midwife, or by providing a MATB1 certificate.

At the time of writing, employers should be informed of the pregnancy and intended Maternity Leave dates at least 15 weeks before the baby is due. Employers must confirm the dates of Statutory Maternity Leave within 28 days.

They should also confirm the amount of Statutory Maternity Pay the applicant may receive and when they may stop receiving it.

If the employer decides that the employee is not eligible for Statutory Maternity Pay, they should inform the employee within a certain amount of time, stating a valid reason why they are ineligible.

At the time of writing, employers have seven days to inform employees if they are not eligible for Statutory Maternity Pay and must give them a ‘SMP1’ form.

Am I eligible for any benefits if I am too sick to work?

Possibly. You may be able to receive Statutory Sick Pay for your time off work if you are ill for over a certain number of days. To qualify, you must be officially classed as an ‘employee’ at your place of work, have done a certain amount of work at the company and earned over a certain amount of money at the company.

You must also inform your employer of your sickness within the time stated by the business or, if the business does not have a deadline in place, within the time limit stated by the government.

At the time of writing, if you are eligible for Statutory Sick Pay, you could be paid the statutory amount for up to 28 weeks while you are off work. If your employer has a Sick Pay Scheme, you may be eligible for more than the statutory amount of time or pay. You should check your employment contract to see if your employer has a Sick Pay Scheme.

Keep in mind, you may not be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay if you are already off work, for example, if you are on Maternity Leave. To find out if you qualify call the Department for Work and Pensions contact number above.

Please note: If you are an agency worker, you could still be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay.

How can I claim Statutory Sick Pay?

You can apply for Statutory Sick Pay by informing your employer in writing that you are unwell before the relevant deadline. Your employer may have their own deadline in place – if they do not, use the government time limit of seven days. You may also need to provide a valid sick note from your doctor.

What if I want to continue to work past the age where I could claim State Pension?

Some individual occupations have rules regarding the age (or certain other conditions) at which employees are required to retire, but the DWP does not dictate an age at which anyone has to retire – in fact, the law protects your right to work as an older employee.

If you continue to work after the age you are eligible to claim the State Pension, you no longer need to pay National Insurance. If you have additional queries call the Department of Work and Pensions number on this page.

How old do I have to be to receive a State Pension?

There is no single specific age to receive a State Pension – it varies depending on your personal information. The age at which you can receive a State Pension may be affected by your date of birth and your gender.

To find out the exact age that you can retire and start receiving a pension, use the ‘Check Your State Pension Age’ form on the government website or call the Department for Work and Pensions phone number above.

At what age can I get a free bus pass?

This is usually a flat age of 60, but there are some differences in the devolved administrations (Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) compared to England, and some individual variations due to council areas.

It may be helpful to double-check with your local council. If you are aged 60 or over and live in the Greater London area, you can claim a 60+ Oyster Card from Transport for London which allows you to access all forms of public transport in the Greater London area for free. Call the DWP phone number for more information.

If I am disabled but still in work, are there any benefits I can claim to help out with my additional living and transport costs?

Yes – there is the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) which is paid to long-term sick and disabled people who meet certain criteria whether they are in work or not, and regardless of their income.

You can call the Department of Work and Pensions contact number to open your claim by telephone 8am-6pm Monday to Friday, and there is also an NGT text relay service and a BSL video relay for deaf and hearing-impaired people. Once you have called to open your claim, the DWP helpline will send you a form.

Postal Address

Department of Work and Pensions
Caxton House
Tothill Street

Have a better contact number for DWP?