Passport Office is open Monday through Friday 8:00am – 5:30pm, Saturday 8:00am – 5:00pm and closed Sunday.

What is the best helpine number for Passport Office?

*This website advises that calls to 084 numbers cost 7p/min plus your phone provider’s access charge.

HM Passport Office is the government agency responsible for issuing and maintaining passports in the United Kingdom. They are the only agency that has this authority. The service underwent a name change 2013, switching from the ‘Identity and Passport Service’ to HM Passport Office.

The HM Passport Office provides passport services to millions of citizens each year. HM Passport Office is part of the Home Office, a branch of the United Kingdom government.

How to Contact the Passport Office Number

HM Passport Office run a customer service line which operates seven days of the weeks. From Monday to Friday, the customer service line opens at 8:00AM and then closes at 8:00PM and on weekends the line opens from 9:00AM to 5:30PM. Please note that the Passport Office telephone number’s holiday hours may be different.

Things to Remember When You Call the Passport Office Contact Number

  • HM Passport Office only provides passport services for British Nationals who are currently residing in the United Kingdom. For this reason they do not deal with expatriates or Citizens of Dependent Territories living abroad. In this case, you must find contact information for either the Foreign Commonwealth Office, or your local government office if you are calling from a dependent territory that is not part of the United Kingdom.
  • Before you contact Passport Office examine your passport and make notes on what you need to discuss on the call to the Passport Office helpline. You should also have your passport with you so that you can provide any relevant information to the customer service operator. Doing this can speed up your call and ensure that you use your time effectively.
  • At the first instance you may be greeted with an automated telephone line. Listen to all the options as selecting the right department will ensure that you are dealt with by the right member of staff with expertise in the area you require. This will overall, save time, even though it may seem slower at first.


I changed my name / I got married recently – do I need to change the name on my passport?

Yes, you need to change the name on your passport as soon as possible. You will need to submit a series of documents to HM Passport Office, which you can find about either online or by getting in touch on the Passport Office contact number provided.

I am renewing my passport – how soon will I get it?

Normally a renewal takes up to 3 weeks. For that reason, if you have a trip booked and aren’t sure if your passport will come in time you’ll need to find out about an Emergency Travel Document, either online or by calling the Passport Office phone number above.

If it’s the first time you’ve applied for a passport, then you will need to wait up to 6 weeks before receiving it. Additionally, you will need to attend an interview if it is your first passport, this is a safety check to make sure that your application is authentic.

Can I apply online for a UK passport?

Yes. Both applicants applying for a UK passport for the first time and those applying to renew their passport can use the online applicant service. To apply, go to the ‘Passport Application’ page on the government website. Keep in mind, you may need a credit or debit card to pay for the passport. In most cases, it will take between three and six weeks to receive your passport, but it could take longer depending on the circumstances.

Can I apply for a UK passport at the Post Office?

Yes. You can apply for a UK passport by picking up a passport application form from your local Post Office and posting the application to the relevant address. At the Post Office, you can also use the ‘Check and Send’ service – this involves a Post Office employee checking your application and accompanying documents before you send your application.

What kind of passport can I apply for?

At the time of writing, there is only one kind of child passport and two kinds of adult passports. Individuals under the age of 16 are usually required to purchase a children’s passport. Individuals who are 16 years of age or older can apply for one of two types of adult passports; a standard passport with 32 pages or a jumbo passport with 48 pages.

Am I eligible for a free passport?

You may be eligible for a free passport if you were born during or before the year 1929. Furthermore, if you used the Check and Send service at the Post Office, you may also be able to request that the cost is refunded.

How can I pay for my passport?

How you pay for your passport depends on the way you apply for your passport; by post, by the Post Office’s Check and Send service, online or at a passport office (regional). Individuals should be able to pay for their UK passport using a credit or debit card in all instances.

Postal orders are usually allowed as payment at regional passport offices, when applying by post, and when using the Check and Send service, but cannot be used online. Cheques should be accepted with postal applications. Cash can usually be paid with at regional passport offices and when using the Check and Send service.

I need a passport urgently – what should I do?

Urgent passport applications should not be done online. If you need a passport soon, you can use the ‘One Day Premium’ service or the ‘One Week Fast Track’ service. To use either of these services, you should book an appointment at your local passport office using the ‘Book An Appointment’ page on the HM Passport Office website. If you have additional queries call the HM Passport Office contact number on this page.

You will likely need to fill in a paper application and gather the relevant documents for your appointment.

Please note: Urgent passport applications cannot be made from outside of the UK but individuals may be able to request an Emergency Travel Document instead.

How will my supporting documents be returned to me?

Supporting documents, such as birth certificates, are usually returned to individuals by Second Class Post free of charge. If you would like your documents to be sent by Secure Delivery, you should choose this option when you are filling out your passport application and pay the relevant fee.

What requirements are there for passport photos?

UK passport photo requirements are very strict – make sure to follow all the rules or your application could be delayed. At the time of writing, passport photos should be 45mm long and 35mm wide.
As a general rule, the photo needs to be a high-quality, in-focus image printed on plain white photo paper and unaltered by a computer.

The photo should not have any creases, tears or marks on the front or the back – the only exception is if a signature is required on the back of the photo for certain types of applications.

The photograph itself should be a recent portrait of the individual, showing their full head and the upper shoulders, and should be taken against a plain, light-coloured background. The individual in the photo should have a neutral expression, there shouldn’t be anything obstructing their facial features, such as hair over their eyes, and there shouldn’t be anyone or anything else in the photo.

The individual also needs to be looking straight at the camera and have their eyes open. Furthermore, the photo should not have any shadows or ‘red eye’.

In some cases, there may be some limitations on wearing head coverings and glasses.

What should I do if my passport is lost or stolen?

If your passport is lost or stolen, you need to report this as soon as possible to avoid someone else using it illegally. To do this, simply fill in the online ‘Cancel A Lost or Stolen Passport’ form on the government website. Otherwise you’ll want to call the Passport Office directly.

How can I update personal information on my passport?

If you need to update any of the personal information on your passport, such as your name or gender, you need to get a new passport. You should also request a new passport if your appearance substantially changes, for example, if you have plastic surgery.

On the other hand, if you change your title, marital status (but not your surname) or contact details, you shouldn’t have to update any details on your passport. Furthermore, if your appearance changes slightly but you are still recognisable, you probably don’t need to change your passport.

When can I get an Emergency Travel Document?

You should request an Emergency Travel Document if you are outside of the UK and your passport has been damaged, expired, lost or stolen. You can also apply for an Emergency Travel Document if your passport pages are full or if your passport is being held by a passport office/foreign embassy.

If you are in the UK, it’s likely that you will not be able to request an Emergency Travel Document. Instead, you may be asked to replace or renew your passport.

Have a better contact number for Passport Office?