Student Finance is open Monday through Friday 8:00am – 8:00pm and Saturday through Sunday 9:00am – 4:00pm.

What is the best helpline number for Student Finance?

*This website advises that calls to 084 numbers cost 7p/min plus your phone provider’s access charge.

Student Finance is a non-profit company established in 1989 by the United Kingdom’s Government. The purposes of Student Finance is to provide financial assistance, including grants and loans, to British citizens studying at colleges, universities, and further education institutions. The company originally provided loans in the style of a mortgage, until tuition fees became standard in 1998, at which point they introduced loans which are contingent on the earnings of the recipient of the loan. Their head office is located in Glasgow, Scotland.

How to Call the Student Finance Contact Number

The Student Finance contact number runs a customer service line 6 days a week. From Monday to Friday this line opens at 8:00AM and closes at 8:00PM. On Saturdays and Sundays, the line opens at 9:00AM and closes at 4:00PM. Please note that the Student Finance helpline holiday hours of operation may be different.

Things to Remember When Calling the Student Finance Number

  • Read the ‘loan repayment’ section on their website to better understand the terms and conditions, as well as the structure, of your loan. Doing this beforehand can save you time and energy on the phone, as well as give you better insight into your query.
  • If you received a loan but are now living overseas, you should read the section on their website relating to overseas loan recipients, for similar reasons to the above point. This may answer your query. If it doesn’t then call the Student Finance customer service line.
  • Have any prior correspondence, and information about your loan on hand when you contact the Student Finance customer service number listed above. If you have all of your information, including customer number, and interactions you’ve already had with Student Finance support, it can save time and effort, as well as making the job easier for the service worker.


I’m now living abroad and want to let Student Finance know, can I call the Student Finance phone number above?

If you are preparing to live abroad, yes. However, if you are currently abroad, you will need to find a different method of contacting Student Finance, as this number is for residents in the United Kingdom only.

Does the government own my loan or has it been sold to someone else?

This is a complex question and not one that can be easily answered. However, if you took out a loan prior to 2012, it’s possible that the ‘loan book’ with your loan has been sold. To find more information on this, you will need to contact Student Finance telephone support. The loan may be serviced by the Student Loans Company if you took out a loan recently, if you have additional questions call the Student Loans Company contact number.

I want to apply for or enquire about a postgraduate loan

If you want to apply for, or enquire about a postgraduate loan, you will need to call Student Finance. They are responsible not only for loans for undergraduate degrees and further education degrees, but also in providing postgraduate education loans. Loans are provided to postgraduate students to assist with costs such as tuition fees and study materials.

Will my student loan be more if tuition fees rise?

This is a complex question, as tuition fees are predicted to increase year-on-year. In order to better understand your loan situation if you’re applying this year or next, we’d recommend looking into the regulations increase notification on their website. If you have a specific enquiry that you can’t find an answer to, you may consider enquiring on the Student Finance telephone number if necessary.

What is ‘Student Finance’?

‘Student Finance’ is a loan to help students with the costs of higher education. In general, they are for college and university courses, particularly to cover the costs of tuition and maintenance. You may be eligible for Student Finance if you are a student on a recognised course of study in the UK.

How can I apply for a student loan?

If you are a student from England, you can go to their England website and create an online account. Once you have created an account, log in and fill out the online application form. You may need details of your household income and proof of your identity to hand. You may also need a parent or partner to fill in a form agreeing to support your application.

If your application is accepted, you should receive confirmation of your loan a few weeks after all relevant paperwork has been submitted.

If you are from Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales, the student loan application process is slightly different. Visit the ‘Student Finance: How To Apply’ page on the government website or contact the Student Finance team for more information.

How can I apply for a student loan as an EU student?

Download the relevant forms from the ‘Student Finance Forms’ page on the government website. Submit the forms along with any other required documentation or paperwork. If your application is accepted, you should receive confirmation of your loan within a matter of weeks.

I’m a continuing student – how can I apply for the next instalment of my student loan?

If you are a continuing student, meaning a student continuing into another academic year of your study, you will likely need to apply for another year of student finance.
Students from England can apply online using their Student Finance England account.

Students from Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, as well as some students who began studying before 2012, may have to apply in another way – find out more by contacting the Student Finance team. EU Students should be sent the relevant forms for continuing study loans – these should be filled out and returned to the relevant address.

When do I started gaining interest on my student loan?

Student loans begin to accumulate interest as soon as the loan is taken out. The amount of interest charged may vary and fluctuate over time in line with UK inflation. The interest rate is also different for ‘Plan 1’ type loans and ‘Plan 2’ type loans. You can find out how much interest you are charged by contacting the Student Finance team.

At the time of writing, individuals on a Plan 1 type loan have an interest rate of 1.25% and those on a Plan 2 type loan have an interest rate based on inflation, plus up to 3%.

When do I start repaying my loan and how much do I need to pay back?

Student loan holders usually start paying back their loan once they are earning over a certain income threshold – the threshold may differ depending on the terms and conditions of your loan.

At the time of writing, those on a Plan 1 type loan start repaying their loan once they are earning over £17,775 per year and those on a Plan 2 type loan start repaying once they earn over £21,000 per year.

The amount that you need to pay back depends on how much you are earning and the type of loan you have. Loan holders usually need to make monthly minimum repayments, the amount of which usually increases with the amount that you are earning.

At the moment, both Plan 1 and Plan 2 type loan holders pay back 9% of their income once they are earning over the income threshold. The monthly repayment amount then becomes higher when loan payers reach certain higher income thresholds.

How can I support a student finance application?

If you are a parent or a partner of an individual applying for a student loan, you may be asked to support their application. You will usually only be asked to support a student’s application if you live with them and your income forms part/all of the ‘household income’ information submitted with their application.

Once the individual has applied for a student loan and named you as their support, you should receive an email asking you to confirm your annual income.

Simply follow the instructions in the email to confirm your income and submit the information online. In some cases, you may be asked to send evidence, such as a pay slip or tax return.

What financial help can I apply for as a student?

If you are a student with a low household income, you may be able to apply for ‘Income Support’ or ‘Extra Help’ – these are financial allowances paid by the government to help with the costs of being a student.

If you are a student who is a parent or carer, you can apply for financial benefits, such as Adult Dependant’s Grant, Childcare Grant, Child Tax Credit, Extra Help or Parents’ Learning Allowance.

There are also grants, bursaries and financial benefits available to students with disabilities, students studying abroad and students in certain areas of study, including studies in medicine, social work and teacher training.

Find out what financial benefits you may be eligible for using the ‘Student Finance Calculator’ on the government website.

The government website also recommends checking if you are eligible for financial help directly from your university or a charitable trust.

Have a better contact number for Student Finance?