UK Visas and Immigration is open Monday through Sunday 8:00am – 6:00pm.

What is the best helpline number for UK Visas and Immigration?

*This website advises that calls to 084 numbers cost 7p/min plus your phone provider’s access charge.

UK Visas and Immigration is the name given to the agency that superseded the UKBA (UK Border Agency), along with several other agencies. The UKVI manages applications for working visas, immigration visas and applications for British Citizenship. UKVI was formed in 2013 and currently employs 7,500+ individual workers.

How to Contact UK Visas and Immigration Helpline

To contact the UKVI, call the number above. The customer service line is open five days a week and closed at weekends. From Monday to Thursday, the line is open from 9AM to 5PM, and on Friday it is open from 9AM to 4:30PM.

For subjects related to border enforcement, or if you believe you have information relating to immigration enforcement please contact the Immigration Enforcement organisation.

Things to Remember When Calling UK Visas and Immigration Contact Number

  • This line is only applicable for those who are currently inside the UK. If you’re calling to ask about a visa application from outside the UK, you will need to find a different customer service line or get in contact via email or post. The system is entirely different for those outside the UK, so please do not call the UKVI contact number listed above.
  • When calling the UK Visas and Immigration phone number, have all of your information regarding your visa application on hand. It’s important to have this with you so that the service agent can assist you properly.
  • If you’re calling on behalf of someone else, regarding sponsorship of someone’s visa, or providing evidence of someone’s claim for asylum, or any other reason, ensure that you have as much information on the application and the individual as necessary for your call, including prior correspondence with UKVI.


I’m a European National, should I call the following line or use a different number?

If you are inside the United Kingdom then you may contact UKVI at the number listed above. If however, you are an EU or EEA national, or calling regarding an EU/EEA national, then you may call the EU customer service line. Information regarding this is available on the GOV.UK website.

Has there been any chance to my rights after the British referendum to leave the EU?

As of 28/2/17 there has been no change to the rights, or the status, of EU nationals living in the UK and UK nationals living in the EU, as a result of the British referendum.

Why can’t I find ‘UKBA’ online?

In recent years, ‘UKBA’ (UK Border Agency) has been replaced by UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration). The new government department handles most things that UKBA previously did.

How can I find out if I need a UK visa?

You may need a UK visa if you are coming to the UK to study, visit or work. To find out if you need a visa, go to the ‘Check If You Need a UK Visa’ page on the government website. Fill in the online form and you should be given information about whether you need a visa along with advice on how to apply.

If you do not receive an answer that is helpful to you or you don’t understand the information you receive, contact the UK Visas and Immigration telephone number to speak with the department’s customer service team.

How can I apply for a UK visa?

If you are currently outside of the UK and you need a UK visa to study, visit or work, you can usually apply online. You can also apply online if you need a visa to join a partner or family member in the UK. The process is usually comprised of filling in the online form, paying for the visa online, printing the form and arranging a Visa Application Centre appointment.

If you’re applying for a Tourist Visa or a Short-Stay Visa, you may need to apply using the online Access UK service.

If you need another kind of visa or you need to apply from within the country, you may need to apply via the Visa4UK website.

How long does it take to receive a UK visa?

How long your UK visa takes to be processed depends on the kind of visa you have applied for and the way that you applied. To find out how long your visa processing time is, check the ‘Visa Guide’ associated with your type of visa on the government visa.

If you applied for a visa from outside of the UK, you may be able to find how long the visa will take by using the online form on the ‘Visa Processing Times’ page on the government website.

What is a ‘Certificate of Entitlement’ and how can I get one?

A ‘Certificate of Entitlement’ is a document that proves you have the right to live and work in the UK without the need for a visa. You may be able to apply for a Certificate of Entitlement if you have a parent or partner who already has the right of abode in the UK.

If you are already in the UK at the time of application, you can apply for a Certificate of Entitlement by submitting ‘Form ROA’ and the relevant supporting documents to the UKVI department. If you are not in the UK at the time of application, you can apply online on the government website.

If you are applying from North Korea, you cannot apply online, you will need to download the relevant application form and guidance, and apply by following the instructions.

What if my ‘Certificate of Entitlement’ application is rejected?

You may be offered the opportunity to appeal – if this is possible, the process should be explained in your rejection letter. Alternatively, you may be able to apply to have your application reconsidered by filling out and submitting ‘Form RROA’ – this can be downloaded from the government website.

What is ‘Settlement’ and how can I apply?

‘Settlement’ allows individuals to reside in the UK indefinitely – it may also be known as ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain’. You can find out how to apply by using the ‘Apply To Settle In the UK’ page on the government website.

If you are under humanitarian protection or you are a refugee, you are recommended to read the information available on the ‘Settlement: Refugee or Humanitarian Protection’ page of the government website before you apply.

Have the rights and status of EU citizens living in the UK changed?

No. At the time of writing, there will be no changes to the rights and status of EU citizens in the UK. The government website states that there are no changes intended to be made while the UK is part of the EU.

Do EU citizens need to apply to reside in the UK?

No. There’s currently no need to apply for documentation or proof that you can live in the UK as an EU citizen. However, if you want to apply for British citizenship or you would like to sponsor your partner’s UK visa application, you may have to apply for relevant documentation or certification. Contact UKVI for details on completing this process.

You may also need to apply for proof that you can live in the UK if you are an extended family member of someone from Switzerland or someone in the EEA (European Economic Area).

What is the ‘Life in the UK’ test and how can I take it?

The ‘Life in the UK’ test is an exam that applicants for Settlement or British Citizenship need to take as part of their application. The test can be booked online on the ‘Life in the UK Test’ page on the government website. To book the test, you may need a valid form of ID, a payment card and an email address.

The test will need to be booked in advance and can be prepared for with the official handbook ‘Life in the United Kingdom A Guide for Residents’. You can call the UK Visas and Immigration number on this page if you have additional queries.

Have a better contact number for UK Visas and Immigration?