Working Tax Credits is open Monday through Friday 8:00am – 8.00pm, Saturday 8:00am – 4.00pm, and Sunday 9:00am – 5.00pm.

What is the best helpline number for Working Tax Credits?

*This website advises that calls to 084 numbers cost 7p/min plus your phone provider’s access charge.

Working Tax Credits are a benefit designed to assist working people who live on a low income and may not earn enough money to make ends meet.

Who Can Claim Working Tax Credits?

You are able to claim Working Tax Credits if you work more than a specific number of hours per week but still have an income below a certain amount. Within these restrictions, the benefit is not universally available to people under age 25 – only people aged 16-24 with a child and/or a qualifying disability are able to claim it. It is also not possible to claim Working Tax Credit if you are already receiving Universal Credit.

There is a “basic element” which everyone whose claim is accepted is entitled to (which is currently worth up to £1,960 a year). On top of this, there are a number of different “elements” which you may be able to claim some or most of depending on your personal circumstances.

There is a “couple” or “single parent” element (currently worth up to £2,010 per year), another element for those who work a minimum of 30 hours a week (currently worth up to £810 per year), an element for people with a disability and an additional one for people with a severe disability on top of that (currently worth up to £2,970 per year and up to £1,275 per year respectively).

On top of this, there is an element which can be claimed by eligible people who have their children cared for by certain approved childcare providers. Each case is different, find out if you’re eligible by calling the Working Tax Credits number above.

How to Start a Working Tax Credits Claim?

You can open a claim by phoning the Working Tax Credit contact number 8am-8pm Monday to Friday, 8am-4pm on Saturdays, and 9am to 5pm on Sundays and phone the same number to report any changes in your circumstances that might affect your claim. It is very important that you do this as soon as you know about such changes, as you could be fined up to £300 if you do not report certain specific changes within 30 days. It is also very important that you are careful to fill in your information accurately, as you could be fined up to £3,000 if you deliberately or carelessly misrepresent your circumstances in certain ways.

You should have your National Insurance Number and any other relevant information – such as the date you start a new job, or the date of expected delivery if you are expecting a baby – to hand when you call the Working Tax Credit helpline.


What is ‘Working Tax Credit’?

‘Working Tax Credit’ is a financial benefit from the government for individuals with an income below a certain amount.

How are Working Tax Credits paid?

Working Tax Credits are paid into a bank or building society account every four weeks from when your claim starts to 5 April every year. You will need to re-apply for your claim every year.

How many hours a week do I need to work to claim Working Tax Credit?

This varies according to your circumstances. Most adults without children aged 25-59 need to work at least 30 hour a week to claim, with disabled people and over-60s needing to work at least 16 hours.

Single parents (and those whose partners are unable to work due to disability, in hospital or in prison) need to work at least 16 hours a week, and couples at least 24 hours between them, with one parent working at least 16 hours.

Can I claim Working Tax Credit if I am self-employed?

Yes. However, not all types of self-employment are eligible for Working Tax Credit. For example, you must be aiming to make a profit from your self-employed work. To prove this, you may need to show records of your profits, plans, regular work, receipts and invoices.

You may also have to show that you are adhering to the relevant legal guidelines for the type of business you are running, such as purchasing the correct type of insurance and a valid business license.

Depending on how much money you make from self-employment, you may also need to show that you have created a business plan and that you have advertised your business in some way.

Please note: You may not necessarily need to make a profit to apply for Working Tax Credit, but there must be sufficient evidence showing that you have attempted to make a profit.

What eligibility requirements are there for receiving Working Tax Credit?

In general, you must work over a certain amount of hours and earn below a certain amount of money. However, you must be paid, or expect to be paid for your work – you may not be able to apply for Working Tax Credit as a volunteer. Call the Working Tax Credit number above to answer additional queries.

You must also be over 16 years of age to apply and, if you are between 16 and 24, you must either have a child or a disability.

Can I receive Working Tax Credit while receiving other benefits?

Possibly. There are some benefits you may be able to receive at the same time as Working Tax Credit. However, two types of benefits that are unlikely to be allowed to be received in combination with Working Tax Credit are Universal Credit and Pension Credit. You also may not qualify if your partner is receiving either of these benefits.

Please note: If you live in a Universal Credit Area, you may be suggested to apply for Universal Credit instead of Working Tax Credit.

What does and doesn’t count as work?

Self-employed work and working for someone else as an employee both count as work. A combination of self-employment and worker/employee work is also counted as work.
However, some types of income are excluded, including work done in prison, money received as part of a grant, money received through the ‘Rent A Room Scheme’ and income from sports awards.

Can couples apply for Working Tax Credit?

Yes. Couples can apply for Working Tax Credit if they have at least one child and meet the working requirements. At the time of writing, the couple must work no more than 24 hours per week between the two of them, with the main applicant working more than 16 hours.

The main applicant should be either 60+ or disabled, or the main applicant’s partner should be incapacitated. All of the requirements need to be met in order to be eligible for Working Tax Credit. Call the Working Tax credit phone number to start the process.

Can I receive Tax Credit while I’m unemployed?

Yes. You may be able to receive Tax Credit for short periods of unemployment. For example, if you have a gap between two jobs, go on maternity/paternity leave, go on adoption leave or go on sick leave, you may be eligible for Tax Credit. In some cases, individuals may be eligible for Tax Credit if they go on strike, are laid off or are suspended from work.

Each different situation has a different amount of time that individuals can claim Tax Credit for. Keep in mind, if your situation changes, for example, you do not go back to work after your period of unemployment, you should inform the Working Tax Credit team.

To qualify for any of the above, you may need to have worked a certain amount of paid hours before stopping working and, if on leave, you must be receiving the relevant Statutory Leave Pay or the equivalent. A representative at the Working Tax Credits telephone number will be able to help determine your eligibility.

How do I apply for Working Tax Credit?

To apply for Working Credit Tax, you may need to answer a few questions to show that you are eligible. You can answer the questions via the online form on the government website or by calling the Working Tax Credits contact number. You may need details to hand, such as your National Insurance Number, your income and the number of hours you work, and details of any childcare payments or benefits.

Once you have answered the questions and you appear to be eligible for Working Tax Credit, you should be able to order a Working Tax Credit Claim form. Upon receiving the form, fill in the details, following the instructions carefully, and send to the relevant address. Contact Working Tax Credits with any additional queries.

Please note: If you need help with your application, the government website recommends getting in touch with Citizens Advice, the Working Tax Credits Helpline or your local benefits office.

How do I inform the Working Tax Credit team of changes to my circumstances?

If you already receive Working Tax Credit and would like to inform the department of changes to your circumstances, you can do so by calling the Working Tax Credits phone number, online or via post.

Please note: The government website warns that supplying false information, accidentally or on purpose, could incur a large fine.

About Working Tax Credits

Postal Address

For claim renewal forms:

HM Revenue and Customs – Tax Credit Office
Comben House
Farriers Way
L75 1AX
United Kingdom

For new claim forms:

HM Revenue and Customs – Tax Credit Office
L75 1AZ
United Kingdom

Have a better contact number for Working Tax Credits?